Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing 8--Facebook

I already have a profile on Facebook. Last year sometime, my friend who lives in California invited me to join, and I thought it would be another avenue to keep up with her, so I did. Shortly thereafter, people I haven't heard from in years, even decades, began "friending" me. It was kind of cool and kind of weird at the same time. At first I wasn't too picky about whose friend requests I accepted, and then I got tired of reading the constant stream of muck coming from some of those "friends," so I defriended them. Ouch. I wonder if they know I did that?

Anyway, I did not realize how addictive Facebook could be. I had a MySpace page for networking with Team in Training to try to raise awareness (and money) with it, but I never got too addicted to that. Facebook, however, began to eat away at my time and began to creep into my habits. I have since been able to control the urge to check into Facebook multiple times a day, and sometimes I can even skip a few days, but I will say that I'm on it more than I should be. And I hope I never become one of those people who have the application on the cell phone that tells when friends give updates...That would annoy me to no end. I would feel like a slave to Facebook. I would much rather enjoy the people in the real world who are present here and now than be consumed by those who are only close virtually. I have priorities, you know.

As for applications in the library, I know of a high school librarian who created a page for her students to keep up with library events. I can see its purposes at that level, but as an elementary school librarian, I don't know that it's such a great idea. Isn't there a minimum age for Facebook? I already have a blog for my library, but I only know of a few students who have taken any interest. The difference that Facebook would offer (unless someone subscribe to my blog with a Reader and an RSS feed), is that Facebook would directly provide them with library updates automatically. Also, a lot of people already are on Facebook, so it would be an easy way for them to stay connected. I just am not convinced that it's the best forum for the elementary level.

1 comment:

  1. The minimum age on FB is 13; I learned that recently when I saw my 9 year old cousin on FB! Her profile has since been removed.

    ReplyDelete