Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thing 12 -- Twitter

Honestly, I have been dreading this Thing since I saw it on the list. I did not want to be a part of the Twitter frenzie! But now I have succumb to the pressure and I am part of the tweetiverse. Don't tell my husband. I refuse to get updates on my phone, however. Even if I had a fancy phone, I still wouldn't want to be a slave to other people's tweets all the time!

I can't believe that I've been on Twitter for 7 minutes and I already have a follower. I have no idea who she is or how she found me! She will be sorely disappointed by my boring life, I am sure. I will not update every time I change activities. No one really wants to know if I'm eating a sandwich, watching the Daily Show, or going to the john. I don't think I'll really use it much. However, I am now following a few people.

Last month, a friend of mine (who I met through my husband), found out I was about to graduate with my MLS, and then asked if I was on Twitter. He told me if I joined, I should follow his dad. He thought I might find some useful insight if I decided to follow him. "Who's your dad?" I asked. "Stephen Krashen," said he. "Are you kidding me? THE Stephen Krashen? That's your dad? I had no idea!!!" was my reply. I've read articles by him, my library director has recommended his book, and he's been mentioned in many of my SLIS courses. So the first person I looked up on Twitter was Stephen Krashen, and the next person was his son. I looked up Jon Stewart (but decided not to become a follower), but through his page, I found Stephen Colbert and NPR, both of whom I am now following. I think I'll stick with 4 people to follow for now--that's probably plenty!

I've been trying to keep somewhat anonymous, but what the heck! If you'd like to be a follower, go to http://twitter.com/estheruribe. But don't say I didn't warn you--it will be boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment