Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thing 14 -- Delicious

This reminds me of ikeepbookmarks.com , a very similar web based bookmarking site. It has the option of keeping things public or private or both, so things can be shared (or not). I've had an account with ikeepbookmarks.com since 2003, but I haven't used it much lately. I think I might have to add the Delicious toolbar to my workstations in the library. It would be super handy to have all of my bookmarks in the same place and be able to access them easily.

Tagging may be a difference with Delicious and ikeepbookmarks. I don't think there was an option for tagging, although there was a way to put things into folders and rate sites according to usefulness. I was a bit confused when I first opened up my imported bookmarks because there no longer are any folders. I like the hierarchical organizational scheme of my bookmarks being in folders. There was just a random list of 223 bookmarks! But then I noticed the tags. Upon importing the bookmarks, all of the folder names were converted into tags, so to find the items in a folder, I just click on the corresponding tab and it straightens it all out for me. Pretty cool!

Delicious might be a tool that librarians and teachers can use so that students can access a bibliography of preselected websites for research or units of study. This would narrow their number of resources, and by having them selected in advance, the sites can be evaluated for usefulness, accuracy, bias, currency, and relevance.

No comments:

Post a Comment