Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thing 18 -- Wikis

I am a seasoned wiki user. I have even edited a Wikipedia article in the past. I think that article was re-written, because now the text is not even nearly what it used to be and I'm not even in the history anymore. It was an article about a band my husband was in, and the creator had misspelled his name. Lame. But now, his name is no longer in the text of the article like it was before, it is down in the list of band members. In the comment portion, there were comments about possible copyright infringement because the cover art for the albums were there listed as "fair use" but with no explanation of how. I thought that was interesting. I'm not sure who created the article or who changed it, or even if the original article was deleted and re-created. Who knows.

I enjoyed looking around at some of the 23 Things wiki pages, especially the link I found under BCR. I think I'll have to go back to that one to look at the presentations and technology links, as well as her information about collaboration and information literacy. As a school librarian, all of that stuff will be useful as I jump into the world of wikis. I think I might use a Wiki to create a WebQuest. That would be fun, huh? Maybe I'll use a wiki for research projects and students can post their research to the wiki. There are lots of potential uses for this technology.

I created a wiki page using Wet Paint. You can read all about it here. You can also read about my other experiences creating wikis here. And if you just want to know more about my interests and hobbies, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious - what band was your husband in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He played with Sub Oslo, a dub band that started out of Denton, TX. They are pretty great! I wish they still played regularly.

    ReplyDelete