Friday, August 21, 2009

Thing 16 -- LibraryThing

This is not the first time I've heard of LibraryThing. It came up at one of our district library meetings last year. One of the librarians told us about how she was using it to help organize the library at her church and to create a searchable catalog for it. I didn't really play around with it then, but I've spent the past few evenings exploring LibraryThing. I've joined groups, participated in discussions, added (and tagged) books to my own library, and just clicked here, there, and everywhere. I never did find the ThingLang, ISBN Check, and MARCThing sections we were supposed to read (if anyone can post some comments about how to find them, that would be great). I did find the Thingology and LibraryThing blogs and poked around there for a while. Good stuff. I especially liked the local venues section--now I can find libraries, bookstores, and book-related events around town with the click of a mouse. I'll probably keep coming back to this Thing on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment